Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Photographing relationships

Piglet sidled up to Pooh from behind. "Pooh!" he whispered. "Yes, Piglet?" "Nothing," said Piglet, taking Pooh's paw. "I just wanted to be sure of you. - A.A. Milne

Today we will look at various photos for inspiration on relationship photography, including a project called Touching Strangers, by photographer Richard Renaldi. "Touching Strangers is an ongoing photographic project stemming from my interest in the dynamics of group portraiture," explains Renaldi in an article about the project in Bite Magazine, which has also published a gallery of Renaldi's images.

"The premise of this work is simple: I meet two or more people on the street who are strangers to each other, and to me. I ask them if they will pose for a photograph together with the stipulation that they must touch each other in some manner. Frequently, I instruct or coach the subjects how to touch. Just as often, I let their tentative physical exploration play out before my camera with no interference," Renaldi said.

We will also view an audio-visual slideshow called "Remember Me" by Preston Gannaway, at The Concord Monitor. It's a story about Carolynne St. Pierre, and her family, as they cope with her illness, prepares to live life without her, and copes with her death after she is gone.